Simon Kelley <si...@thekelleys.org.uk> writes:

> It would be possible to add something like
>
> dns-host=<IP>,<name>[,<name]
>
> which would be semantically exactly the same as a line in /etc/hosts.

dnsmasq serves several purposes. Small LANs, bigger LANs, etc. In my
particular situation, which I think is quite common for a small
business LAN, there's a collection of systems that acquire a fixed IP
address using DHCP. For this collection, the DNS and DHCP information
overlap. A line

  dhcp-host=00:01:02:03:04:05,192.168.1.222,foobar,6h

could then imply the associated

  dns-host=192.168.1.222,foobar

> The question is, is it worth the (small) overhead?

I have no problem with the current approach. I would be nice if it
could be done easier but I do not think it is really worth the effort
to change the current behaviour.

Moreover, I'm currently limited to a prebuilt version of dnsmasq that
is way behind so I won't be able to use the new features anyway soon
:( .

Thanks for the nice program,

-- Johan