I know this is Off Topic for this list, but I need help, and this is
likely a good place to find people who understand the problem well
enough to provide some hints.

This is a research project for my Masters Degree.

I'm setting up a virtual network with VDE and connecting vms to it
with VirtualBox

I'm using wirefilter to poison the logical cables between virtual VDE
switches and I'm using wireshark to detect the force-fed faults.

All seems to be working as far as I've tested it.

I need help finding research grade documentation for the faults.

so far I'm sourcing the software manuals for the various software
products and I'm using and some RFCs

It would be nice if I could find something that (preferably published
in a journal or a conference) discussed the network related problems
associated with too much packet loss, or duplicate packets or noise.

Any help appreciated.

Rance