On 09/01/2013 13:40, Mr Dash Four wrote:

d) dnsmasq returns the answer with the "truncated response" bit set to
the client, which then retries over TCP, and dnsmasq makes a TCP
connection to 10.1.1.1

The net effect of d) is much the same as c), provided that client
behaves in the conventional way, so It may be a winner :-)
Thanks, I'll seek to implement that, though I have another query: if dnsmasq receives a request from a client, which is directed to dns1 and then receives a response from that server "not-implemented" what happens next: does that error gets returned to the client, or is dnsmasq forwarding the same query to dns2 and then forwards the response to the client, provided it is OK?

The reason for asking this question is this: I have one dns, which only recognises type "A" records, and another one, which has everything else (A, AAAA, CNAME, MX etc). I would like to use dns1 as my primary dns server as it is blazingly fast and because the majority of the requests from the client machines would be for type "A" records, but would like queries for records other than type "A" to be forwarded to the second server, which might be a bit slower, but serves all types of requests.

Note I am a huge fan of dnsmasq, however, have you looked at unbound also? I *think* it may have an option to force TCP upstream queries, it's not clear, but I would assume this means it receives on UDP and queries upstream on TCP (the documentation states "this may be helpful for tunnelling situations")

You could even incorporate both dnsmasq and unbound in order to have only a portion of your requests take this route? (another option is to write a simple DNS server in say perl and do whatever you wish, using a local dnsmasq/unbound/something else as your upstream proxy)

Ed W