> De : Jarno Elonen <jarno.elo...@housemarque.fi>
> Envoyé le : Mercredi 28 août 2013 9h47
> Hi Vincent,

> Manual entries in /etc/hosts work for me too, but I was interested in
> trying if dnsmasq could also be made to serve reverse queries for the
> dynamic NetBIOS names. That is, names that (DHCP-configured) Windows
> hosts advertise in their SMB workgroup.

If my memory serves me right Windows does not need WINS as NetBIOS over TCPIP
does the same. Every Windows machine can be a master browser and an election is
triggered on the network to decide which workstation will be the master
browser. So you don't need to change anything to dnsmasq in fact as it should
already be working -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Also note that, as a personal experience return, we ran several times into
troubles at work with WINS running alongside DNS. For instance when we were
using vnc viewer to remote control a computer using its FQDN name we ended up
on the wrong machine because WINS and DNS weren't in sync. And if I'm still
right Windows first makes a NetBIOS query before falling back onto DNS.

In fact DNS should be preferred over WINS. Any time. WINS is just a trouble
maker.

Vince C.