On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Lonnie Abelbeck
<li...@lonnie.abelbeck.com> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2014, at 7:15 AM, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Lonnie Abelbeck
>> <li...@lonnie.abelbeck.com> wrote:
>>> I admit is is nice to know that no-one is silently altering DNS
>>> queries/responses in transit to a trusted DNS server, but is that being
>>> overly paranoid ?
>>>
>>> Appreciate any comments...
>> I treat dnscrypt as a way to prevent query snooping by my ISP, not as
>> means to prevent altering.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts Maciej, but since the ISP routes (and logs stats)
> the network data anyway, there isn't much "privacy" to be gained by
> preventing DNS query snooping, is there ?
Partly.
The ISP A that serves your trusted DNS server will be able to corelate
DNS queries and dnscrypt clients.
The ISP B that serves your dnsmasq + dnscrypt-proxy will just see
encrypted traffic. They would need to collude with ISP A.

Of course ISP A can see DNS traffic and then, say, a subsequent HTTP
query, so you're right. But client computers also leak DNS, e.g. even
when using VPN, some DNS queries might be sent outside it, so e.g.
company intranet, etc.

> I'm thinking DNSCrypt's best feature is preventing man-in-the-middle attacks
> between the router and the trusted DNS server.
Agreed!

> Lonnie
Maciej