-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA256 On 08-03-14 10:26, Roy Marples wrote: > On 08/03/2014 8:36, Simon Kelley wrote: >> On 07/03/14 21:42, Tom Hendrikx wrote: >>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA256 >>> >>> Hi, >>> >>> I'm using dnsmasq 2.66 to provide my local network with ipv4 >>> dhcp, and ipv6 information requests (ip addressing is handled >>> by my router). >>> >>> I'm able to to provide clients with a dns-server and such >>> through dhcpv6, but I'm failing to find the dhcp option that >>> sets 'domain lan.example.org' in /etc/resolv.conf, i.e. the v6 >>> equivalent of dhcp-option=option:domain-name,lan.example.org >>> >>> Can anyone enlighten me? I've searching through >>> https://www.iana.org/assignments/dhcpv6-parameters/dhcpv6-parameters.xhtml >>> >>> >>> but I'm failing to find something useful... >> >> What you want is option 39, OPTION_CLIENT_FQDN > > domain in resolv.conf(5) isn't normally used. I wouldn't expect any > DHCP clients to put it there based on the FQDN. dhcpcd(8) does :)
I double checked behaviour here (dhclient, as part of networkmanager on ubuntu), and it didn't use it. I was under the impression that the domain option in resolv.conf was set after processing the dhcpv4 information, and then discarded after the dhcpv6 information coming in a few seconds later, that didn't specify it. But it isn't set at all. > > What you probably want is option 24, OPTION_DOMAIN_LIST which I > would expect every DHCP client to fill out the search entry instead > of the domain entry. If you read resolv.conf(5) you'll find that > both pretty much do the same thing, but search allows >1 entry. > I was already using the search option, but it was giving me some headaches, mainly because what I actually was trying to get to work was that 'hostname --fqdn' on the client would actually return the correct fqdn from the dhcp network. Looking back, my question should have been: why doesn't my dhcp client's OS use the dhcp-provided domain name for 'hostname --fqdn' and friends? I fixed that by fumbling around with /etc/nsswitch.conf, preferring dns over files for hosts database. Ugly reading material: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcfg/+bug/8980 Thanks anyway! Kind regards, Tom -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.14 (GNU/Linux) Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/ iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJTGwgQAAoJEJPfMZ19VO/1JpQQAMn2h/yKo3fPJwt0g0KzI58+ 8UzkgGqtspnV1qKxv1MXLRX07psaU06YsRcEG9NRPZyqzm+4TeNTW5bOclIWiqVa tQJQwUK0oqZY5e4ANobccQPgX+os0mlesUIw7+bZUe17q3Q+pAqmlyn7JiAiT7Pn 4/iSxBh/8TA1k81SLR24jMVnL14rZLHuxio2O4UGMEL7fGtPul23N/03a+nZUhru TxwxzlaEVjrveXlz0TEorwxm9hK+4bxBcT8JtDrS7wAnMl9RwMxyAgh6UAkEsgRR 7MCSPdhpRoS7itDH0M+jaI0oFel7xoezKrYxm9JdfRwyHOKmJUP6jsKXLxCw9rD1 kPbub3YfISL+YF+/hGRCPNcq6Tt22RwhA2Vj1t30mPy9B89ofak67HH8XFyI7TbZ F5VgU7EIa5TJgtR0Mr2WifTYtTcKtPzGHo7E+UIA8cbgHKxpebJY70N0tb1sHVEQ IITuhzWS56d0m4+2gOokZIUDIRtFJdv9PQVsXHNUFj30m2PwMWcSfrvyYJ/T4Exp LR8bAaWNu0tB1MP4YNaxAEl9wqPTKuoGmmLVoAj40AkAHKHNt1iRECqENjzFOt9g Cow5CMt60isqR6BJaSLBxvY4lI6fz1o6SojwdI5arUdejHwsqByxDzco0/Ww8Ti7 fDTQolK8AS3QGCTGv3i8 =J0Ey -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- _______________________________________________ Dnsmasq-discuss mailing list [email protected] http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/dnsmasq-discuss
