The mystery is at least partially solved.  It looks like I'd somehow
enabled Remote Routing and Access services within Windows Home Server
for VPN access.  It looks like it tries to grab a few addresses for
potential VPN clients from a DHCP server, that's why I was seeing
'RRAS.Micrsoft'  as a user class for the extra requests.  With RRAS
disabled no extra DHCPv4 requests are received which at least removed
some of the lease duplication/abandonment.

It also appears to have solved the DHCPv6 behaviour too, with the server
now getting the DHCPv6 address assigned by the dhcp-hosts configuration
line.  Why that should be is also a mystery to me.  Oh well, posted here
just in case someone else falls into a similar trap :-)

Kevin