Hi,

Thanks for your careful reading and measured comments.  Thanks also
for the suggested text.

Before I deal with some of the issues you raise in your posting, I
want to request some feedback from the wider group on what is clearly
the central question in this discussion.  I'd like to get a general
sense of what people think, because it is entirely possible that this
is a topic on which well-informed people just disagree.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 02:35:01AM +0900, JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:

> let such admins do what doesn't really make sense and to recommend
> others to adapt themselves for the convenience of the stubborn admins,
> I don't see much importance in this effort; a stubborn admin will do
> whatever they want anyway regardless of "technically sound"
> recommendations from the IETF,

It appears to me that there are two slightly different views about
security and utility in this discussion.  To be clear, I don't regard
these as "camps", but I do think they are subtly different views, and
that the difference makes a difference for this discussion.

The first view is that reverse mappings provide no information of any
utility whatsoever.  There is no reason ever to use them except for
convenience; certainly, one should never make any decisions on the
basis of information included in the reverse tree.  The idea here is
that, because the reverse tree itself does not offer much in the way
of security (and because it is relatively easy to hide bad behaviour
anyway), there is no real utility in reverse mappings.  Moreover, any
use of them at all in making decisions about how to proceed is in fact
a security hole that needs to be plugged with haste.

The second view is that the reverse tree sometimes contains
information that might be useful in making decisions about a host on
the Internet.  It is not to be regarded as canonical information, and
it should certainly never be used as a primary source of data.  That
said, the reverse tree can sometimes be useful.  Some site
administrators, under certain circumstances, might legitimately use
the (non-)maintenance of reverse mappings as a clue, on the basis of
which they do additional processing.  The general idea here is that,
while the additional information provides no security at all on its
own, it can sometimes be of use in _disqualifying_ a remote host from
connecting to one's service.  In addition, we have some cases where
the reverse tree might be useful for other purposes.  In the presence
of reports from some users that they find the facility useful, I'm
inclined to say that it should be maintained.  This is not to say that
it must be maintained in every situation; but that, on balance, unless
you have pretty good reasons not to maintain it, you should maintain a
reverse mapping.

I believe that the draft as it stands is consistent with the second
view, and that it expresses a view that is contrary to the first
view.  In other words, the draft as written says, I think, that
administrator of site A is perfectly entitled to make decisions about
site B on the basis of reverse mappings, _but_, the administrator of
site A is cautioned that there are plenty of pitfalls in that
strategy, and they ought to be taken into consideration.

I'd like to know whether people think that is a reasonable thing to
say.  If the answer is, "No," then I'm not sure what we can say about
reverse mappings at all.

Best regards,

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110