JINMEI Tatuya / ???? wrote:
At Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:30:46 -0500,
Andrew Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Title           : Considerations for the use of DNS Reverse Mapping
        Author(s)       : D. Senie, A. Sullivan
        Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-reverse-mapping-considerations-02.txt
        Pages           : 12
        Date            : 2007-2-26

(snip)

I hope that these modifications address the remaining concerns of
those who previously objected.  In my opinion, this document says the
same thing as the previous version did, but if these modifications
make it clearer to some, then the goal of another round of work will
have been met.

I respect the authors' effort in the new version, and I see it has
been improved since the previous version; however, it still does not
address my fundamental concern: why *should* one provide reverse
mappings for all IP addresses they manage?

In this version, it reads:

   Unless there are strong counter-considerations, such as a high
   probability of forcing large numbers of queries to use TCP, all IP
   addresses in use within a range should have a reverse mapping.

Perhaps the condition added to the main clause intended to soften the
requirement level, but this still sounds pretty demanding to me due to
the strong phrase of "unless there are strong counter-considerations".

We should not forget that providing and maintaining reverse mappings
require operational costs (even though it's not very high).  IMO, when
we recommend one *should* provide something that comes with a cost, we
should give a convincing reason why they should do it.  The rationale
is still missing in this version.  As I commented on the previous
version of the draft, none of the described issues or usages seems a
convincing reason for such a strong requirement.
I agree wholeheartedly with this comment. In the corporate environment, where I'm coming from, the point is to make money, and anything which costs money, manpower, increases complexity of the environment, presents possible information-disclosure-type security risks, etc., needs to have a demonstrable long-term *economic* benefit, or it is viewed as an unnecessary expense/risk, fails the "business case" test and won't get implemented, regardless of what the Internet Standards or BCPs say. If one of our many business partners is, for example, having trouble accepting mail from us because our gateways (hypothetically) have missing or incorrect reverse records, then obviously there is a business case, stated in terms of reliability, service levels, etc. for creating and maintaining reverse records for those gateways. (At least, unless and until that requirement can be removed by a subsequent upgrade to their mail software). But that's a case-by-case, episodic kind of thing, not the same as the document under discussion which makes a blanket recommendation for creation and maintenance of reverse records.

I also question the scope of the term "in use" in the quoted draft text above. What does it mean, exactly, for an address to be "in use"? Pingable? ARPable? Sending and/or receiving packets? Specifically, by "in use" is it *assumed* that there is at least 1 A RR or AAAA RR referring to the address? What if there *isn't*? I.e. what if the device functioning at that address has no address record referring to it at all? The recommendation is that "all addresses in use within a range should have a reverse mapping". That's very broad. On its face, it implies that even *unnamed* devices need reverse mappings. If, following the recommendation of the document, the reverse records are added _sans_ the A/AAAA records, then we have a forward/reverse inconsistency, which seems to defeat the whole purpose of the document (because many of the cited mechanisms requiring the reverse records also need them to match up with forward records). If, on the other hand, the implication is that, following the recommendation, one should *fabricate* A/AAAA records for every device in one's address range, that doesn't already have them, and the DNS information is publicly available, then the document indirectly recommends a *new* public information disclosure with regard to devices residing on one's network(s), which may not be the preference of many corporate and/or institutional Security Departments (whether that non-preference rises to the level of a "strong counter-consideration[]" is of course debatable).

To put it more simply, if I want to have a "stealth" device on my network, which doesn't have either forward or reverse records pointing to it, why can't I do that? The text appears to preclude "stealth" devices. And no, I shouldn't have to come up with a "strong counter-consideration" for that. In this age of heightened security concerns and threats, the burden of proof should be on those recommending the information disclosure, to explain why the benefits outweigh the risks.

Could I get a clarification on whether or not this document is recommending anything with respect to "forward" (A/AAAA) records? Or, if it is simply a _presumption_ that every "in use" device in every address range, has at least one A/AAAA record in DNS, then perhaps this presumption should be spelled out clearly in the first part of the document (if it is already, I apologize for missing it, even after a couple of re-reads).

- Kevin