To:
        Peter Koch,
        Matt Larson,
        Joe Abley,
        Roy Arends,

CC:     ietf dnsop mailing list

Dear four gentlemen:
according to DNSOP Prague meeting minutes, you are the co-editors of the revision -01 for the document draft-koch-dnsop-resolver-priming-00. I also looked at the slides presented by Peter at the Prague meeting (now at http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/dnsop-4.pdf).

I appreciate this work, and I believe that I made a related contribution in Appendix A of the draft draft-moreau-srvloc-dnssec-priming-00, in which I omitted to refer to Peter's draft as I should have; my apologies for this omission.

The present message is to assist you in your editing work, as this subject matter would be best covered by reference to your work in my draft. I.e. I would like to drop Appendix A in my draft, which main part is concerned with something different, i.e. using SLP for DNSSEC priming assistance, giving that "DNSSEC priming" is specified somewhere. (Maybe you don't need to care for what I intend to do, it's FYI.)

        Let's go back to your priming draft.

First, referring to the last question in Peter's presentation Question page: "Root server address validation needed?" I answer YES. If you find a consensus on a NO answer, you don't need to consider my second point.

        My second point is about the first issue in Peter's presentation page 6:
"Issues with DNSSEC validation
  o      NET-related information not (readily) available to root servers
          -     Rename root servers (only zones root servers are authoritative
for)
          -     Use a second trust anchor"

An idea (borrowed from a DNSSEC opt-in scheme which by itself IS NOT BROUGHT as an ietf contribution) is to add a third alternative above:

- Use RRSIGs for A and AAAA RRsets using a signature key "shared" with the root

You may be able to get the idea from my draft appendix A. So my second point is that you may consider integrating this idea into the contents of the draft. If you need clarifications, let me know.

Now, let me make a few observations about the IPR status of the above idea. Generally, these observations apply irrespective if the idea remains in my draft, or is integrated in yours, since either way it's part of an ietf contribution.

DNSSEC priming specifications is only facilitating deployment at the root, which is by itself challenging in many different aspects. The theoretical benefits of using the above idea are 1) a quicker resolution of an important issue in your draft, 2) an opportunity for software development shortcut when implementing priming on the resolver side, and 3) lesser need to move the root server from ROOT-SERVERS.NET. These benefits are very hypothetical since DNSSEC deployment at the root is delayed by so many things.

In this context, I intend to file an IPR disclosure statement offering a free, universal, non-exclusive, time-unlimited license to use the above idea (that is conveniently defined by reference to the claims as they stand) for DNS root zone file publishing by any DNS root zone operator, conditional to the approval of your draft with the above idea included. (If you don't find the idea useful to the point of including it in your draft, you don't need and/or deserve any information about what I might do.) This message is not a formally legal commitment, only an indication of the most likely course of events. This indication should be sufficient for revision -01 draft preparation purposes.

Anyway, I'll have to wait a few weeks for the patent application to be published by the patent office (early publication has been requested) before filing an IPR disclosure.

In summary, I suggest you adopt the idea of having the authoritative *.ROOT-SERVERS.NET A or AAAA RRsets signed with a public signature key value present in the DNSKEY RRsets present at both ROOT-SERVERS.NET and the root, provided that the DNSKEY RRset present at ROOT-SERVERS.NET is not self-signed by this common signature key value.

Thanks for this work, and best regards,

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.