[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:05:55PM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:
At 6:25 PM +0000 11/27/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

        then we have a small issue...  you as zone admin, can't
        dictate which IP's i must use on my machines, since you don't
        control my connectivity.  as zone admin, your job is to
        provide accurate mapping betwn lable and address ... the
        extent of your influence is over the lables used, not their
        IP addresses.
It is the prerogative of you to do what it takes to get your machine to function correctly. It's the prerogative of the zone admin to include (or not) your machine in the NS set.

A zone admin ought to be aware of what the state of the slave servers are. (That's my main point.) There are minor tweaks, like IP addresses, and then there are major tweaks, like letting the domain lapse. A responsible zone admin would be up to date on what the slave server admins are up to. So, in this case, when the slave server changes IP addresses, this goes to the zone admin, who would then have to update the IP addresses registered.

        a concrete example:

        i have a zone, example.org and chose the following
        nameservers:

                moe.rice.edu
                ns.isi.edu
                PDC.example.org

        as the admin of PDC.example.org, I know what IP addresses
        are assigned and can change them on whim.  However, It is
        the Height of Arrogance to presume I can tell the rice.edu
        or isi.edu people what IP addresses to use on their machines.
Kind of, and maybe.

Basically, glue is necessary only because NS records are allowed to be FQDNs instead of just IP addresses. (This is so that fewer NS records need to be updated when a nameserver changes IP address(es).)

And that glue is needed only, strictly speaking, when the NS FQDN is a subordinate of the (parent) zone. (Any NS whose FQDN isn't subordinate, is "out of zone data", and shouldn't be kept as glue in the zone.)

Sometimes the glue isn't really necessary, if the FQDN of the NS is served by zone whose own NS records don't need glue, e.g. are served by entirely out-of-zone name servers. (But that leads potentially to a name-server race condition, which operators should know to avoid. Having example.net use ns.example.org as its NS, and having example.org use ns.example.net as *its* NS, is bad form.)

In the example above, moe.rice.edu and ns.isi.edu are outside of the '.org' zone, and their IP should neither be accepted nor kept. If, on the other hand, the nameservers were PDC.example.org, and FOO.other-example.org, then: - the IP for FOO may already exist, if it is a nameserver for other-example.org - even if FOO is not a nameserver for other-example.org, it might be in future.

So, capturing its IP *might* make sense. But, even if it exists, it isn't authoritative, so likely won't (or shouldn't) be used. Which means, unless it comes to pass that other-example.org uses FOO.other-example.org as their nameserver, the presence or absence of quote-glue-unquote for FOO is irrelevant and annoying.

And if/when other-example.org adds FOO as their nameserver, they really do need to provide the IP, at which time the registrar should require the IP, and the registry operator should accept it as authoritative.

(Whether the things pointed to by the NS records are serving the zone is a whole other kettle of fish. Lame fish at that.)

Brian