(updated subject to reflect draft being discussed)

Paul Vixie (vixie) writes:
> i think that if LOCALHOST. could be made to return A 127.0.0.1 and AAAA ::1
> then we could use LOCALHOST. as a meaningless value for SOA.MNAME,

I actually considered that option for a moment.

> but that
> would just be there to handle the case where RFC 2136 initiators were talking
> to an SOA.MNAME that did not match any NS.NSDNAME, in which case they are
> already out of spec and it's difficult to say how much effort should be spent
> changing the spec further.

Is it then out of spec if we're working with a hidden/unreachable master
server, and even though it is disclosed in SOA.MNAME, it is not listed
in NS.NSDNAME ?  What should one put in the SOA.MNAME in that case ?
Any one of the slaves ?

Phil