Oh yeah--That's right. 32 levels--Much worse than I said.  I wrote up
many of the issues with reverse dns about 1.5 years ago. I submitted it
to the IETF, but there was no interest in publishing this information.

http://www.av8.net/draft-anderson-reverse-dns-status-01.txt

The following example was taken from RFC3596:

    4321:0:1:2:3:4:567:89ab

   would be

    b.a.9.8.7.6.5.0.4.0.0.0.3.0.0.0.2.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.2.3.4.IP6.
                                                                   ARPA.

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Frederico A C Neves wrote:

> Mr. Anderson,
>
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 05:36:04PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> > A number of the points you raise have already been addressed.
> >
> > The IPV6 Reverse resolution question has been discussed at length in
> > DNSEXT previously. In fact, it was proposed to remove reverse resolution
> > entirely from IPV6 for just the reason Dr. Huang notes.  A 128 bit IPV6
> > address is 16 octets. To perform reverse resolution requires traversing
> > 16 levels of DNS tree.
>
> Not exactly. The reverse delegation is at the 4 bits boundary, so the
> correct is 32 possible levels, but this possibility doesn't impose all
> these levels. Half of the levels are unlikely to be used and the other
> half you'll see normally the average of 3 to 4 as we see it today for
> IPv4. The amount of delegations levels are driven by the IP
> distributions layers (IANA-RIR-NIR-ISP), not by the address space.
>
> Fred

617 344 9000