On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:04 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
Maybe, Ted could provide some virtual-world data realistic enough to
deny the real-world statistical data such as:

djb> Last week's surveys by the DNSSEC developers ("SecSpider") have found a djb> grand total of 99 signed dot-com names out of the 70 million dot-com
djb> names on the Internet

Ohta-san, you made the claim that managing DNSSEC is so much more work than maintaining regular DNSSEC that the cost of doing so outweighed the benefit of doing so - the added security. You provided no statistics to back up that claim, and that claim is contrary to my own personal experience with setting up DNSSEC.

The statistic you present above is probably true, and certainly matches my personal experience. However, it says nothing about how much work is involved in setting up and maintaining DNS zones. Rather, what it says is that .COM is not signed. There's no security benefit to signing your zone if the trust anchor on which your zone depends is not signed. So this statistic is not part of the cost/ benefit analysis we were talking about - it's a non-sequitur.

It's certainly true that in order for .COM zones to get any meaningful security out of DNSSEC, either .COM has to be signed, or we have to use some other trust anchor mechanism, like DLV or DLVPTR, so if you wanted to use this statistic to justify deploying some alternative trust anchor system, that would make sense.

BTW, one exercise that I'd like to suggest for participants in this discussion is that, despite the fact that .COM is not signed, you sign your .COM zones if you haven't already. I'm in the process of doing that myself. Given that only 90 are signed so far, I suspect that a lot of DNS geeks just haven't bothered yet because .COM isn't signed.