[For brevity, this is intended as a message in support of Joe's
 position.  I think my original got eaten in the earlier mail
 server event announced on ietf@, so apologies for any duplicates.]

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 03:46:48PM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:
> My point is that there are a large number of distributed denial of
> service attacks happening every day, on a scale large enough to
> involve multiple providers and cross-organisational teams for
> mitigation.

For informational purposes, I'd like to point out that yesterday on
the NANOG mailing list, it was asserted that DNS Amplification attacks
are being observed by one security worker (Gadi Evron) on a seemingly
daily basis, frustrated by the lack of adoption of BCP 38 (which is
proposed as the root cause). [1]

Let me say that it is entirely right to suggest that in this case, if
you are engaged in a dialogue of logical deduction, then in the face
of the claim that something does not exist, the responsibility of
argument is to prove that thing does exist, on the basis that one
cannot reasonably prove non-existence of any physical object (or
event) with Aristotelian tenacity.

Which is problematic because such a proof (with Aristotelian tenacity)
in this case would require publishing of normally witheld and guarded
data in provably unaltered forms.  This may not even be possible.

This would appear then to be an impasse if the IETF required such
tenacity.

Fortunately, the IETF works on a basis of consensus among
practicioners, not on a basis of Aristotelian deductive proofs of
draft contents and volunteers' opinions.  I'm content to agree with
the other WG participants that DNS Amplification attacks do persist in
the modern day, and that it is useful to write and publish a document
that seeks mitigation.

I hope that the WG's consensus will be so measured by the chairs.

 [1] - http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg11131.html

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?  https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/