Paul,

Paul Hoffman wrote:

> ...assuming that you feel that attacker would spend even a million dollars to
> break your key. This line of logic completely discounts common sense,
> however. Which is more valuable to an attacker: the ability to temporarily
> spoof DNS responses in your zone, or the ability to masquerade as any secure
> web site they want to?

The same RSA-cracker that our evil-doers dropped $10 million on to hack
web SSL will work nicely for RSA DNSSEC, thanks!

> I'm not advocating that people use 1024 bit keys; that's up to them. If
> someone wants to use 2048-bit keys that take about four times as much effort
> to sign and verify, that's great. However, those people should make decisions
> based on facts about DNSSEC deployment, not extrapolations from estimates
> that are both speculative and based on key usage that is not applicable to
> DNSSEC.

I look at it like this:

High-volume and/or high-profile sites are the very ones that will most
likely be attacked, and the ones that should really consider a longer
key length for security. Low-volume and/or low-profile sites don't
really need to care about the computation time expended, because in the
end we're not talking about a lot of bandwidth or cycles in total. (The
computational losers in DNSSEC are, as always, the validating resolvers.
I don't know of any benchmarks showing the cost of relative key sizes
for resolvers though, so it's all a bit hand-wavy, but it could be a
real problem.)

While you may not advocate that people use 1024 bit keys, the draft
spends 5 paragraphs advocating 1024 bit keys. I obviously think this is
a misguided recommendation. At the very least we should tone it down a bit.

--
Shane