> That is fine, but so is 1024 bit KSKs. The text in RFC 4641bis makes it
> clear that KSKs should be rollable in case of an emergency; the effort to
> do so is greater, but not that much greater, than rolling a ZSK.

Considering the necessity of getting new DS/DLV records into the parent/DLV
zones and/or getting public keys properly distributed to everyone who needs
them (either directly or via ITAR or other key repositories) it sure seems
to me that the effort to roll a KSK is "that much greater".  Rolling a ZSK
doesn't require coordination with anyone else.

> The WG should decide which seems better to recommend:
>
> a) KSKs longer than ZSKs because KSKs are thought of as needing to be
> stronger
>
> b) KSKs the same strength as ZSKs because neither should be weak enough
> to be attacked
>
> I prefer (b), but (a) keeps coming up in this discussion.

It's a little imprecise, but I'm inclined to think of key lifetime as an
aspect of key strength.  A 1024-bit key that rolls over every week may be
"stronger", in a sense, than a 2048-bit key that stays around for twenty
years--the second one could be broken within its lifetime, the first one
probably not.

IMHO it's reasonable to make recommendations with that tradeoff in mind; a
ZSK may be as long as a KSK, or it may be shorter if it's rolled over more
frequently.  (I think 4641bis already says something along those lines.)

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.