On Nov 4, 2009, at 3:39 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

* David Blacka:

I actually researched this, and need to spend some time cleaning up
the report before posting it to this list.  But the bottom line is
that yes, all responses save a few at the apex of root are below 1500b
(actually, below 1100b).  The responses that are larger are ". rrsig"
and ". any" (and ". dnskey" if minimal dnskey responses aren't used).
". any" is the only one that would actually set TC if, say, the
advertised buffer size were set to 1280.

What about a.root-servers.net/IN/A etc.?  (Assuming that
root-servers.net will be signed eventually.)

My research didn't cover that, but the responses will still be fairly small. I'm also not making the assumption that root-servers.net will be signed eventually.

--
David Blacka                          <dav...@verisign.com>
Sr. Engineer          VeriSign Platform Product Development