On 11/11/2009, at 3:29 PM, Duane Wessels wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Nicholas Weaver wrote:
>
>> Also, has someone done a study what the major recursive resolvers do on
>> response failures from a root?  Do they go to another first or do they try a
>> smaller EDNS MTU?
>
> I gave a presentation on this at the DNS-OARC meeting last week:
>
> https://www.dns-oarc.net/files/workshop-200911/Duane_Wessels.pdf
>
> I was only able to test BIND (9.4.3) and Unbound (1.3.3) before the
> workshop.
>
> I've since learned that since my graphs only show 7 seconds after
> the initial query, it misses Unbound's fallback to TCP, which
> takes longer than that.

Great presentation.

I encourage everyone to read this document. Duane shows an incredibly high
packet amplification in some circumstances, of 30 or more subsequent (sys/glue)
queries each having to hunt to the optimal MTU.

And the total traffic count rises as well of course.

yes, its a corner case. Alas, its a corner case we can predict will exist for
disadvantaged people behind broken middleware and old software.

-George