On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 02:12:43PM -0700, Dan Wing wrote:
There are two categories of ISP
subscribers:

   1. If subscriber is provisioned for IPv6, they are pointed at
      the ISP's DNS server which responds to AAAA normally --
   2. If subscriber is NOT provisioned for IPv6, they are
      pointed at the ISP's DNS server which responds to AAAA
      with an empty answer.

This proposal seems to have the right setup of defaults to work well
now and to continue working well as the IPv4/v6 landscape changes.

Moreover, as access to a recursive server is a _service_, I don't
see how one can stop ISPs from doing this.  DNS servers have never
presented a uniform namespace (due to propagation of changes and
later split DNS), though some ISPs respect the end-to-end principle
more than others.

On the downside I see this proposal moving us closer to a world
where messing about with DNS end-to-end service by the network is
seen as acceptable.

-- Andras Salamon                   and...@dns.net