On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:35:31PM -0400, Edward Lewis wrote:
>> Remember I'm arguing against the KSK+ZSK split in most cases, a different
>> thread will be started on key size recommendation.
>
> I don't think KSK+ZSK is a dead or outmoded idea.

If I understand Olafur correctly, he doesn't either.  He just thinks
that in a large number of cases, it's not the right approach to
achieve the goal of reliable operation (including the reliable
availability of data for validation).

I agree with him, and tried to make this point in Anaheim.  The
arguments for KSK/ZSK splits are at best appropriate for certain
classes of operation, and I don't think we should publish a document
that says that such a split is generally speaking a best practice.  I
think the arguments for that claim are weak, because there is
countervailing evidence to the effect that a single key in the right
circumstances will be more reliable and less likely to be messed up by
operator error.  That is especially true for smaller zones without
professional administrators.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.