here's something interesting.

> You have just received a comment for:
>
> Taking Back the DNS
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20100728_taking_back_the_dns/#7331
> By Marc Perkel
> Also - I would like to see some sort of DNS lookup to determine the
> age of a domain and the expiration date through DNS (high speed) as
> opposed to whois. That way domains that are very new can be
> distinguished for those who are established.

how would the registry system implement something like this?  could we
define another SRV-like schema like:

vix._domain._whois._registry.com TXT "admin-c:pv15"
                                 TXT "tech-c:pv15"
                                 TXT "updated:25-Feb-2009"
                                 TXT "created:20-Jun-1995"
                                 TXT "expires:19-Jun-2011"
                                 TXT "registrar:http://tucowsdomains.com";

pv15._contact._whois._registry.com TXT "name:Vixie, Paul"
                                   TXT "email:p...@vix.com"
                                   TXT "postal:Star Route Box 159A, \
                                        Woodside, CA 94062, US"
                                   TXT "pstn:+1.6504231383"

...and then leave it up to each registry (and maybe icann if they are a
regulated registry) to decide whether to implement it and to decide what
kind of rate limiting to perform?

i know there are a lot of related proposals in XML.  that's another topic.