Hello,

(at the risk of launching a lot of weekend messages, again,
 - which I read with great interest after some days of absence ...)

The draft on "Negative Trust Anchor", section 7 : "Use of a NTA"
seems incomplete !

Actually, the validating caching name server is itself only an
intermediate step between
- the authoritative name servers (whose admins may commit errors)
and
- the forwarding name server or resolver on an end device.

And what if that forwarding name server
or that resolver on end device perform validation themselves ?

If the "end client" performs validation and is unaware of NTA,
it is in trouble again !
And the validating caching name server that implements NTA
cannot pretend the DS record, in the parent, does not exist,
because it cannot provide the appropriate "Next Secure" data (DNSSEC ...).
(the only one that can remove the DS record is the parent
 - it has the private key to provide the correctly signed "Next Secure"
data)

While I do acknowledge the concern of ISP's that offer validation
to somehow protect their customers, in case of a (DNSSEC only)
problem with some or the other domain,
I'm afraid "Negative Trust Anchor" may introduce other problems.

Together with other commentors on this subject,
I do think there should be some best practice recommendation
about how to cope with this kind of problem.

Kind regards,

Marc Lampo