One question/caveat:

What would the practical impact be, if the TTL on the SOA were the same as
the default negative caching TTL (for the NXDOMAIN)?

I think it would be slightly less sniffy, to have the NXDOMAIN and the
synthesized SOA both disappear at the same time.

IIRC, the TTL would then need to be 900 rather than 604800.

Brian