I see a lot of talk about need to engage with the TLD community and the
registries.

For the record, I'm completely in agreement with Paul Wouters and Joe Abley
that this is not really needed. This is why:

1. CDS will be an option for automation. There is nothing suggested saying that
what we use today (i.e. out-of-band communication) should go away. On the
contrary, will remain, and has to remain, because CDS cannot solve all problems
(f.i. bootstrapping a secure delegation, algorithm rollover, etc). Hence, if a
particular TLD doesn't like CDS, that's basically irrelevant.

2. As CDS will be an option I expect some registrants will want to use this
(that's the whole point after all, that there is a need). But I also expect
some registrants NOT to want to use this. Hence use-of-CDS will basically be on
a registrant by registrant basis. Who has the registrant connection? The
registrar, not the registry.

I.e. the REGISTRAR may provide the added value service of looking for CDS and
automatically convert that into an EPP transaction that goes into the already
existing and fully functioning communication channel that the registrar has
with the registry. The registry doesn't even have to know that CDS is in use.
Hence it is irrelevant whether there's a policy that requires the registry "not
to talk directly to registrants" or not.

3. CDS is a protocol feature. It is not a policy issue. There's no need for
policy development. Should registries "not like CDS", that's ok (they will not
know that a particular EPP update regarding a DS was triggered by a CDS). It
does matter that a registrar or two is interested in this. And several
registrars do appear interested, so we're fine.

4. There is a rather substantial world out there which is not part of the RRR
model. Most of academia and research. Lots and lots of topology in corporate
networks. All sorts of hobbyists, etc, etc. There are entire countries that
don't use the RRR model. Whenever one gets to close to ICANN it seems like the
entire world is shaped into a registry / registrar / registrant model. That is
not true. There are other parts.

Jeopardizing the possibility of automation of DS changes by going too near the
registries is likely to be a big mistake. So let's try to not do that for a
change.

That said, there are of course lots of clever people working for registries
that will provide valuable input. I'm just arguing against allowing "registry
buy-in" to be allowed to become a gating factor for determining CDS usefulness.

Regards,

Johan