On Jul 11, 2013, at 3:54 AM, Antoin Verschuren <antoin.verschu...@sidn.nl>
wrote:

> I've given Ed's words a really good thought, and slept a night over it.
> I think the reason why some of us don't feel comfortable  with many of
> the assumptions in our requirements is because we try to avoid a
> framework we as technicians are not comfortable with, and that is trust.
> Trust is more a layer's thing. As sysadmins we expect trust is
> evident, and we all try to do "the good thing" so why would anyone
> doubt us at some point. We don't realize trust is something that needs
> to be gained by convincing somebody else to express it, it cannot be
> self-proclaimed.

Quite right. But there is a second reason: the proposals are trying to use the
DNS protocol to transmit the data and, seeing the limitations of doing so,
adjust their requirements. A different way to design the protocol would be to
list the real requirements and stick to them. This would very likely involve
using a different communications protocol, such as RESTful-HTTP-over-TLS.

--Paul Hoffman