On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 05:59:52PM -0400, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:
> My colleagues and I worked on OpenWrt routers to get Unbound to work
> there, what you need to do is to start DNS up in non-validating mode wait
> for NTP to fix time, then check if the link allows DNSSEC answers
> through, at which point you can enable DNSSEC validation.

That's roughly what we did with BIND on OpenWrt/CeroWrt as well.  We
also discussed hacking NTP to set the CD bit on its initial DNS queries,
but I don't think any of the code made it upstream.

My real recommendation would be to run an NTP pool in an anycast cloud of
well-known v4 and v6 addresses guaranteed to be reliable over a period of
years. NTP could then fall back to those addresses if unable to look up the
server it was configured to use.  DNS relies on a well-known set of root
server addresses for bootstrapping; I don't see why NTP shouldn't do the
same.

(Actually... the root nameservers could *almost* provide a workable time
tick for bootstrapping purposes right now: the SOA record for the root
zone encodes today's date in the serial number.  So you do the SOA lookup,
set your system clock, attempt validation; on failure, set the clock an
hour forward and try again; on success, use NTP to fine-tune. Klugey! :) )

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.