Ted Lemon wrote:

> While I don't actually disagree with your basic point, I don't
> think you should gloss over the problem of the RTC-less
> home gateway that can't trust the network, or, similarly,
> the constrained device with the same issue.

The constraint is in users. That is, most home users can't
configure there home gateways.

Thus, even if home gateways have their own RTCs, they must
synchronize their RTCs with some factory configured external
clocks, regardless of time differences between the RTCs and
the external clocks.

Otherwise, most home users can do nothing if the difference
is large.

                                                Masataka Ohta