On 19Feb14, Mark Andrews allegedly wrote:
> The process for getting a new type hasn't been *hard* for a decade
> now.
>
> Nameserver developers have been deploying new types quickly for
> over a decade now.
>
> Recursive servers have had the bugs w.r.t. handling unknown types
> removed over a decade ago.

Apart from the web-panels I'd say that the biggest bugbear is CPE such
as DSL/cable modems. Having conducted some experiments recently, my
observation is that some of these** have pretty atrocious cache/proxy
implementations. I had to drop the idea of using PTR for a particular
application because one implementation of dnsproxy assumes that PTR is
only ever valid in in-addr.arpa space (it had plenty of other bugs
too, but that's another story).

I see now that some newer CPE defaults to 8.8.8.8 - at least that
eliminates the local implementation bugs...

Mark.

** The irony won't be lost on you, Mark, that your neighbours are
   probably running with that bug since I found it in a popular DSL
   modem sold in Australia/SE Asia.