After a break of a few months I rejoined the DNSOP WG mail list. After the very
first message I sent a complaint to the chairs over the tone and language.  I
feel I should send a note about that to the open list itself.

It’s not that I have a puritan tongue.  It’s that such low-brow language,
including the subject line’s obtuse reference to an obscene expression and
finally to the out right vulgar expression in the thread call into doubt the
level of professionalism of this WG.  It’s hard to defend the work that results
from a group that exhibits juvenile behavior.  I realize that I am reacting to
perhaps the writing of one person (perhaps, I never tried to verify the
originator) and perhaps reacting to the interaction of a small group of
individuals - even if some are well-intentioned here.  But I think that it is
up to the WG to defend it’s stature and not accommodate this low level of
discourse.

As to the matter at hand, I had been an operator of DNS services for about the
past decade, designed the initial role out of DNSSEC in places, and ran a
measurement experiment for a few years to quantify the choices.

I found that there are two primary reasons why 1024 bits is used in zone
signing keys.

 One - peer pressure.  Most other operators start out with 1024 bits.  I know
of some cases where operators wanted to choose other sizes but were told to
“follow the flock.”

Two - it works.  No one has ever demonstrated a failure of a 1024 bit key to
provide as-expected protection.

>From these two main reasons (and you’ll notice nothing about cryptographic
>strength in there) a third very import influence must be understood - the
>tools operators use more or less nudge operators to the 1024 bit size.
>Perhaps via the default settings or perhaps in the tutorials and documentation
>that is read.

Why do operators seem to ignore the input of cryptographers?  I can tell you
that from personal experience.  Cryptographers, whenever given a straight
question on DNSSEC have failed to give straight answers.  As is evident in the
thread, theoretical statements are made and the discussion will veer off into
recursive (really cache-protection) behaviors, but never wind up with a result
that is clearly presented and defended.  In my personal experience, when I
recommended 1024 bits, it was after consulting cryptographic experts who would
just waffle on what size is needed and then relying on what we did in workshops
15 years ago.

What does it matter from a security perspective?  DNS messages are short lived.
 It’s not like we are encrypting a novel to be kept secret for 100 years.  With
zone signing keys lasting a month, 6 months, or so, and the ability to disallow
them fairly quickly, what’s the difference between this so-called 80 or 112 bit
strength difference?  Yes, I understand the doomsday scenario that someone
might “guess” my private key and forge messages.  But an attack is not as
simple as forging messages, it takes the ability to inject them too.  That can
be done - but chaining all these things together just makes the attack that
much less prevalent.

Saving space and time does matter.  Roughly half the operators I studied would
include a backup key on-line because “they could” with the shorted length.  And
performance does matter - ask the web browser people.

It nets to this - cryptographers urge for longer lengths but can’t come up with
a specific, clearly rational, recommendation.  DNS operators want smaller, web
performance wants quicker.  Putting all that together, the smaller key size
makes sense.  In operations.

PS - Yes, some operators do use longer keys.  Generally, those that do have
decent “excuses” (read: unusual use cases) and so they are not used in the peer
pressure arguments.