On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hal...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:48 PM, Andrew Sullivan
> <a...@anvilwalrusden.com>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 09:07:07PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> > 1) Client -> Resolver
>>
>> > Changing 1 is the easiest and also the part that is most in need.
>>
>> >From where I sit, that project appears to reduce to roughly "upgrade
>> all the computers on Earth."  It may be that we do not have a common
>> meaning of "easiest".  Perhaps you could say more.
>>

> Nope, just the gateway devices and the main DNS servers.
>
> Legacy DNS over raw UDP will be around for decades to come. But DNS over a
> privacy protected transport is quite viable.
>
> The privacy issues are most acute at the network gateway device, the
> firewall or the WiFi router.
>

> Privacy protection plus anti-censorship protection is in big demand right
> now.

Since we have essentially zero DNSSEC stub clients in operation and 100% of
those that are in use are being deployed by aggressive early adopters,
deployment in the stub client -> recursive loop is actually quite easy.

What we can't do is to break legacy DNS without DNSSEC. That is the
deployment scenario that is beyond redemption.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/