On May 8, 2014, at 12:43 PM, Suzanne Woolf <suzworldw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, sorry. Was trying to reflect what the discussion was saying, not impose
> an “edict”. It seemed like a reasonable starting position.
>
> Do you disagree? If so I’ll hope you’ll say what you think on the subject….

Yes, I think I do disagree with your previous conclusion, actually.
Specifically, the “sounds to me like” and:

“b) a resulting RFC as "Informational”.

I’m not sure I’d have so quickly reached the same conclusion if I were chair or
based on what I’ve seen in the discussion here (!even after DW, who invented a
strikingly similar feature for http ~16 years ago, pointed out a slewwww of
concerns [and opportunities] with this particular feature oob), but I wasn’t
actually counting opinions here like I presume you were and I do think this
particular thing has demonstrated utility already, warts et al.

Of course, I’m not sure I really care so much about this particular feature as
to take a hard position, it’s more the meta topic.

Quite frankly, given implementation and deployment scope already this is the
sorta thing that arguably coulda-shoulda been published years ago as
Informational OR Experimental RFC even absent ANY working group support (and
still could be, of course) -- and then [e.g., now] lending deployment
experience to a potential Standards Track RFC IF it doesn’t perturb to many
things and gains traction.

OTOH, if the goal of putting it through the wringer here is to simply continue
publication as an Informational RFC (albeit with a bunch of extra text talking
about applicability, deployment experience, security and privacy
considerations, architectural fashion sense, and other important stuff) then I
think we might be missing an opportunity, or even worse...  IF DNSOP is going
to muck with bits on the wire in Standards Track protocols, in addition to
documenting operational DNS fun, then we should expressly aim to not push
implementers away.  That’s the only reason I’m really responding to this thread
at all, FWIW.

On a related noted, and in lieu of the earlier references from Jiankang Yao to
draft-iab-dns-applications (i.e., RFC6950), folks considering this with context
might want to also apply RFC5218 considerations here - which may well leave you
more firmly on the fence or perhaps even more entrenched on either side of this
particular discussion :-)

-danny