Today's problem, IMO, is that, while there is little debate
about "DNS-based solution", or even "DNS-based solution
involving something special in the relevant MX record", I
haven't seen a careful analysis by DNS experts on which of
several DNS approaches have the least bad operational
properties.

But, John, this is the one that's implemented in many popular MTAs, has been in daily use for the better part of a decade, and has no observed issues at all that I ever heard of. No doubt it sends some traffic to the root servers, but have any root server surveys ever even mentioned A or AAAA query traffic to "." ?

I can sorta kinda see not wanting to bless it in an RFC, but if we tell people to do something different, we'll just look ever more out of touch and they'll ignore us. Again.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY