In your previous mail you wrote:

>  >>   Does "several thousands of queries per second during normal
>  >>   operations" with TCP matter?
>  >
>  > => yes because it is at the limit current OSs can do on cheap stock
>  > hardware...
>
>  Are you saying real root servers are using cheap stock hardware?

=> current real root servers no but if we'd like to run 100 or 100
times more we have first to lower requirements on the hardware.
And the argument applies to not root servers too.

>  > PS: I wrote OS because the first reached perf limit is in the kernel,
>  > not in the DNS server. And if you argue Web servers support far more,
>  > the TCP DNS issue is the server should close connections only after
>  > a timeout...
>
>  Aren't you arguing that the server should close connections
>  only after a timeout because the server can not accept so
>  many new connections?

=> no, I am arguing the requirement on TCP DNS to close at the server
side only after a timeout makes most kernel improvements for HTTP servers
useless for TCP DNS.

Regards

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr