On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM, David Conrad <d...@virtualized.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jul 28, 2014, at 5:48 AM, Nicholas Weaver <nwea...@icsi.berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
> > The IPv6 net has decreed “No, really, FRAGMENTS DO NOT WORK”.
>
> This could be a bit of an issue when the DNSSEC root key is rolled. Could
> someone point me to a writeup and/or data as to how we know the above
> decree? (I'm not disagreeing, I just haven't really been following this for
> a while).

As one data point, the current top DNSKEY response sizes for TLDs (all
using UDP) are:

xn--fiq228c5hs. 1669
xn--6frz82g. 1657
xn--3ds443g. 1657
rich. 1629
post. 1629
pink. 1629
info. 1629
blue. 1629
asia. 1629
red. 1625
org. 1625
onl. 1625
kim. 1625
sc. 1621
pr. 1621
mn. 1621
me. 1621
lc. 1621
in. 1621
gi. 1621
bz. 1621
ag. 1621
bg. 1567
xn--fiqz9s. 1505
xn--fiqs8s. 1505
am. 1479
cn. 1473
dk. 1459

All of the above result in IPv6 fragmentation, and nearly all also result
in IPv4 fragmentation---both assuming a 1500-byte PMTU and a resolver using
an EDNS UDP payload value sufficient to hold the entire payload.  This list
has changed over time, through key rollovers and such.

Has there been empirical or anecdotal evidence to suggest that DNSSEC
validation has been broken for these TLDs for some population?

I'm not suggesting that fragmentation is pretty, and I'm quite aware of
path problems with fragmentation (some of them having been worked around by
resolver implementations and configurations, as Tony indicated).

Casey