On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Paul Ebersman <list-dn...@dragon.net> wrote:

> dougb> It's not just a philosophical objection, it's an operational
> dougb> one. When DNSSEC fails for a domain there are 2 main
> dougb> reasons. Operator error, and an actual MITM or similar attack. If
> dougb> the operators of validating resolvers simply turn off validation
> dougb> for domains that should be validating but are not,* it kicks the
> dougb> door open for the exact problem that DNSSEC was designed to
> dougb> solve.
>
> Have you actually read through the new draft? It specifically prohibits
> automatic installation of NTAs and says that you should have folks
> familiar with operating DNS servers making any decisions.
>
> That isn't painless. It means that this skips past all 1st tier and gets
> to senior engineers. Don't know about you but I hate getting on-call
> problems caused by someone else that I have no direct way to fix but
> that my customers beat me for.

... or that your customers move away because of...
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Re-Weather-Gov-DNS/td-p/1175625
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,25180845?hilite=dns
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Comcast-DNS-can-t-won-t-find-state-gov-sites-How-do-I-report/td-p/1824503

> And that's way more expensive than standard help desk...
>
> But it is a good way to make sure that this isn't a constant and knee
> jerk reaction but an operationally sane one.
>
> dougb> The other problem is that this feature is only really useful in
> dougb> the DNSSEC ramp-up period. Sure, mistakes are more common now,
> dougb> software is immature, etc. etc. But if DNSSEC is successful, the
> dougb> software will get better (it already is a lot better than even a
> dougb> few years ago), and mistakes will be less common (both on an
> dougb> absolute, and on a percentage basis). But once you introduce a
> dougb> feature like this, you cannot remove it.

... but you don't have to remove it. If " DNSSEC is successful, the
software will get better (it already is a lot better than even a
few years ago), and mistakes will be less common" then there will be
no need to install NTAs.

> Sure. It will only be temporary/fast. Like rolling out IPv6. Or getting
> all the broken CPEs using old dnsmasq and being open resolvers. Or
> getting folks to roll out BCP38.
>
> How long have we been trying to get folks to use DNSSEC?

... a long time...

> How far are we?

not far enough...

> And why do we keep insisting that only by painful and expensive
> suffering will we do it "correctly"?

Not a clue. This is like saying that airbags and selt-belts are a bad
idea in cars -- if we didn't have them, people would learn to drive
more carefully[0]. This is potentially true, but... seriously...

[0]: This inserted somewhat so that I can trot out my current favorite quote:
Analogies are like bicycles: It doesn’t matter how many marbles it takes to
fill the outhouse, telco execs will always be making silly metaphors
 — Patrik Gilmore.

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf