On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 03:29:21PM -0400,
 Edward Lewis <edlewis.subscri...@cox.net> wrote
 a message of 526 lines which said:

> Should be DNSOP WG

Boilerplate from XML2RFC. I have to read the documentation.

> Because, as described this proposal would increase the number of
> queries sent in search of a name.

It's minimisation of the data sent. And, in most cases, there would be
no increase of the query numbers.

> I don't know that the amount of "privacy problems" is something
> DNSOP is suited to address.

There have been a lot of hesitation after Vancouver on where to put
this work (DNSOP, Perpass, a new WG). In the end, it is DNSOP (there
have been a call for adoption by dnsop, with only one opposition
expressed) so, in my opinion, the case is closed (I'm not really
interested in IETF's internal endless process debates).

> This sounds like something related to work attempted in the DBound
> mail list,

Not at all. Dbound (or Mozilla's public suffix list) rely on a priori
knowledge (which can be stale) while Qname m12n relies on dynamically
learning. But, more important, Dbound is for finding out the
_administrative_ boundaries while Qname m12n depend on _technical_
boundaries. For Dbound, the fact that www.ratp.fr is below a zone cut
and not in the same zone than ratp.fr is irrelevant (it's the same
organisation). For Qname m12n, it is crucial.

Doug Barton suggested here to use Dbound-like techniques to optimize
the work of a qname-minimising resolver. I personally don't think this
small improvment would be worth the added complication and risks of
staleness.

> Effectively, yes, not a requirement, but more than a tradition.

May be it's my low level in english but, for me, "tradition" did not
mean that it was irrational or without basis. You say that there were
very good practical reasons for sending the full Qname and I agree. If
we continue to do so while these reasons are no longer there (root
name servers don't serve .com anymore...), it is tradition.

> The SOA is "just a convention" too (in negative answers) and if the
> zone does not make use of NOTIFY/AXFR/IXFR, the SOA serial number
> doesn't matter either.

You say that not sending a SOA (when requested) is legal?

> (Once again - illegal practice?)

Do you prefer a term less legalese? "Violation of the RFC"?

>    292        ##Appendix A.  An algorithm to find the zone cut
>
> It's not the zone cut that matters, it's what zones the server
> answers that matters.

I disagree. When you want to resolve www.example.com with Qname m12n,
knowing that example.com and com are on different sides of a zone cut
is necessary. Knowing that the .com name servers also serve .net is
useless.