> > Putting my ISP hat on, I'd have to agree with the security/stability
> > reasons (and several others I can think of). As of today, I have zero
> > incentive to let my residential customers create their own PTR records.
>
> Putting my customer hat on: I want PTR for my machines (many hosters
> allow it, like Linode or Gandi). Is it sufficient incentive for a
> provider? "N customers want it, with N > 0"

Business customers can already have static IPv6 PTRs, no problem.

Residential customers and the proposed scheme of dynamically creating/
updating PTRs: N would have to be "sufficiently large", or there would
have to be other reasons (e.g. competitive pressure). Even if these
conditions were fulfilled, it would still be prioritized against many
other requirements.

In other words: Don't hold your breath.

Steinar Haug, AS 2116