On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 02:43:02PM -0500, Bob Harold wrote:
> Thanks, but what about the case where the zone transfers are refused and
> the root zone expires?  My server is still running, but cannot answer for
> the root zone.  That's a case where I want it to fail over to the real
> roots.

If the slave zone expires, it's because your server isn't receiving
transfers from *any* of the five root servers in the masters statement,
and in that situation you'd be having troubles whether you used this
configuration or not.

I suppose some of the five might disable transfers while continuing to
allow queries... but as long as one of them still supports transfers,
you'd be okay. I'm confident that f-root, operated by ISC, will always
support them.

(Honestly, I don't know why it isn't a requirement for all the root
ops. It's not like the zone contents are a secret.)

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.