On Nov 12, 2014, at 6:37 AM, Paul Ebersman <list-dn...@dragon.net> wrote:
> Yup... There is discussion in a couple of distro web sites on changing
> this default but while most novice sysadmins will tend to use distros,
> if they upgrade, it doesn't stomp the /etc files. That's usually a
> feature. In this case, it means we're going to be living with this bad
> default for a while.

As long as the file hasn't been tweaked, most distros will in fact updated it.
 Unfortunately there are other defaults in /etc/sshd_config that are really
harmful, so some people do update them, but I think most don't, and the ones
who do can be trusted to further update it if they start getting complaints
about PTR lookup timeouts.