On Monday, January 19, 2015, Francis Dupont <francis.dup...@fdupont.fr>
wrote:

>  In your previous mail you wrote:
>
> >  Currently a number of validators don't do ECC, because of the openssl
> >  library from the distribution they are using doesn't include support.
> >  This makes ECC an unsupported algorithm, and so it "fails open" (See
> >  RFC4035, Section 5.2, around "If the validator does not support any of
> >  the algorithms"...). Geoff also has a good blog post
> >  (http://labs.apnic.net/blabs/?p=544) and presentations at various
> places
> >  (e.g: https://ripe69.ripe.net/presentations/135-18-2014-11-01-ecc.pptx
> ).
>
> => This very unfortunate fact is IMHO the major (and perhaps only) issue
> to solve before deploying ECDSA (and solve the RSA/SHA-1 vs RSA/SHA-2
> question).

Unfortunately not the only - we also need the registrars to accept ECDSA.
But yes, this is annoying- rolling the DNSSEC root key to ECDSA would be
very cool, as we could then fit 2 signatures well within the IPv6 MTU.

Oh, as was pointed out earlier, Google Public DNS does ECDSA.

--
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.