On Fri, 20 Feb 2015, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

I reported that discussion to the OpenSSH development mailing list.  The
next version of OpenSSH (v6.8) is now set to be released with the
following change:

* sshd(8): UseDNS now defaults to 'no'. Configurations that match
  against the client host name (via sshd_config or authorized_keys)
  may need to re-enable it or convert to matching against addresses.

 http://marc.info/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=142438449111563&w=2

If there are other instances of popular software that does unreasonable
or unsafe things with the DNS by default, please reach out to the

I have an issue with openssh :)

For 5+ years I've been trying to get them to use "VerifyHostKeyDNS ask"
in /etc/ssh/ssh_config :P

Sadly the fedora/rhel maintainer isn't willing to change it from the
default upstream.

Paul