On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Robert Edmonds <edmo...@mycre.ws> wrote:

> Shumon Huque wrote:
> > PS. regarding Paul Vixie's recent suggestion of adding an AAAA or A
> record
> > set in the additional section for a corresponding A or AAAA query, I just
> > learned today that Unbound already does this. Not sure if there are any
> DNS
> > client APIs that can successfully make use of this info yet.
>
> Hi, Shumon:
>
> Do you mean that Unbound will accept such answers from servers, or that
> it will send such answers to clients, or both?

This was from a transcript of a 'dig' session to an unbound resolver - so
this is unbound sending responses back to clients. I'm not sure if it
accepts such answers from queries to authority servers, nor do I know if
there are any authority servers that return such responses.

> I just tried querying an Unbound 1.5.2 server for a cached, signed pair
> of A/AAAA records and I don't believe Unbound sends such answers to
> clients, at least not by default.

Hmm, let me double check the details of the configuration and get back to
you. From the discussion with the colleagues that are running this server,
it sounded like it was the default, but perhaps some configuration knob
needs to be tweaked.

Shumon Huque.