On Mar 10, 2015, at 9:34 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2015, at 8:46 AM, David C Lawrence <t...@akamai.com> wrote:
>>
>> Paul Hoffman writes:
>>>
>>> +1. "REFUSED" exactly describes what is going on.
>>
>> One down side there, however, is that REFUSED as understood by
>> resolvers commonly has the semantic currently that the name is not
>> hosted by the server at all.  What used to be root referrals for lame
>> delegations is now REFUSED to minimize response size.
>
> If a resolver is sending an ANY before it sends its actual request, that
> could be a problem. However, they shouldn't be doing that.
>
> It is likely that any response we think of (even no response at all) will
> cause some deployed resolvers to get the wrong idea. Having said that, it is
> perfectly reasonable for an operator to not want to reply to an ANY, given
> the unclarity of what it is expected to send back and the opportunity for
> malicious intelligence gathering. So us saying "if you want to do this, use
> that" at least will cause future versions of things that relied on ANY to
> know what they are getting.
>
> Also: this should probably one of the three threads on dnsop@ietf.org...

As Paul suggests, I'll attempt to redirect the conversation to dnsop.

Does it make sense to define an Extended RCODE for additional signaling?
e.g.  "REFUSED_BECAUSE_QTYPE_ANY"

If you want to respond to ANY with NOTIMP/REFUSED, would you also
be willing to include an OPT RR in your response (when appropriate)?

DW