tl;dr:
I am thinking of the "principle of least surprise", for the use case of
interactive "dig" users.

Here's why:
Asking ANY to a recursive resolver, the expected behavior is "whatever is
in the cache" (which could be a subset of the real RRsets, and possibly
empty even though RRs exist on corresponding auth servers). No-error,
no-data in this circumstance would not be unexpected, and would not be a
cause for concern.

Asking ANY to an auth server, the expected behavior is "everything at this
node".

At 3am, when investigating a problem with a domain, if I unwittingly type
"ANY" as the type, I don't want to have to think about or remember that the
behavior changed, and that the "no-error, no-data" answer really means
"deprecated".

I would be happy if the differential behavior were "refused" or "notimpl",
in this specific corner case (RD=1, to an auth server).

Maybe that compromise is sufficient? It would still accomplish Olafur's
goal.

Brian