Andrew Sullivan <a...@anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:

> In section 6, there's this:
>
>     The server MUST NOT enforce these rules for a particular
>    client because it does not know if the client IP address belongs to a
>    single client or is, for example, multiple clients behind NAT.
>
> I don't think that MUST NOT is reasonable.

I think the recommended limits in that paragraph are OK only if viewed
from the perspective of individual client programs. The above quote is
correct in that there's no sensible way for the server to enforce the
limit - never mind NAT, if a user starts up a second browser, will it be
locked out of TCP queries until the first one closes its connection?

I suggest:

   To mitigate the risk of unintentional server overload, DNS clients
   MUST take care to minimize the number of concurrent TCP connections
   made to any individual server. It is RECOMMENDED that for any given
   client - server interaction a client SHOULD limit itself to no more
   than one connection for regular queries, one for zone transfers and
   one for each protocol that is being used on top of TCP, for example,
   if the resolver was using TLS.  Servers MAY impose limits
   on the number of concurrent TCP connections being handled for any
   particular client. These limits SHOULD be much looser than the client
   guidelines above, because it does not know if the client IP
   address belongs to a single client or is, for example, multiple
   resolvers on a single machine, or multiple clients behind NAT.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Faeroes: West or southwest 5 or 6, becoming variable 4, then becoming south or