On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 05:22:41PM -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Ah, the joys of defining terms that have been used a long time, but almost
> never in RFCs. Grep all the RFCs: you'll see "bailiwick" is used, but not
> defined, in RFC 6763 and 7477, and nowhere else.

To be fair to the other authors, I suspect I am mostly to blame for
this particularly infelicitous way of defining things.  Good thing we
have WGs to review stuff!

> I think "response" and "reply" don't need to be defined, but they do need to
> be used more carefully, and we didn't do that here, I think (but my
> co-authors might disagree with me). From looking at your concerns and the
> general use of "bailiwick", I propose that it is records, not responses, that
> in- or out-of.

What's tricky here is that the bailiwick-ness of something is only
relevant given a response.  So it seems to me that it's a question of
records in a given response.  I think Paul's proposed text doesn't
_quite_ get us there, but it's close.  I'll think some more.

> Out-of-bailiwick -- A glue record in which the name server answering is not
> authoritative for an ancestor of the owner name of the record.

Given the previous discussion about glue, that word seems especially
fraught here.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com