From: k...@wide.ad.jp
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-01
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 04:33:41 +0900 (JST)

> From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org>
> Subject: Re: [DNSOP] draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-01
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:18:59 -0500

>>> Or rather AXFR over UDP isn't. TCP is mandatory for *XFR.
>>
>> Where is that requirement made? The only thing I see in RFC 5936 is that
>> AXFR over UDP is not defined.
>
> Section 4.3.5 of RFC1034 says: "Because accuracy is essential, TCP or
> some other reliable protocol must be used for AXFR requests."
>
> -- Akira Kato

The current root zone size in the wire format is 539,248 byte. Provided
if MTU is 1500, it consists of 367 fragments in UDP. Even if AXFR over
UDP is allowed, it may not be practical to assume such number of fragments
get delivered without any packet loss especially over a satellite link
which is an use case of the draft. Retries could also be fail in this
case.

-- Akira Kato