On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:14:24AM -0400, Lyman Chapin wrote:

> "Label - The identifier of an individual node in the sequence of nodes that
> comprise a fully-qualified domain name."

I am not sure this is quite right, or if it is it's circular with the
other definitions in RFC 1034.

1034 says this:

    Each node has a label, which is zero to 63 octets in length.
    Brother nodes may not have the same label, although the same label
    can be used for nodes which are not brothers.  One label is
    reserved, and that is the null (i.e., zero length) label used for
    the root.

    The domain name of a node is the list of the labels on the path
    from the node to the root of the tree.  By convention, the labels
    that compose a domain name are printed or read left to right, from
    the most specific (lowest, farthest from the root) to the least
    specific (highest, closest to the root).

The problem therefore that I see is that the identifier of the node is
the domain name (which we have clarified as the "fully-qualified
domain name").  This is why the text I'd previously sent to Suzanne
used "portion".  For while I agree that it's not great, it does anchor
this in the discussion already in 1034.

What about

Label - the identifier of an individual node in the DNS namespace
taken apart from its location in a fully-qualified domain name.

I think this is consistent with the "Each node has a label" language.
But it's pretty hard to understand, and still faintly circular.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com