On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:
> On May 9, 2015, at 6:07 AM, Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> wrote:
>>> In Section 2, there should be a new paragraph after the first paragraph
>>> that describes why the "reasonable attempt" in the first paragraph is
>>> needed to determine whether the attacker has partial control of the zone,
>>> or is just mounting an on-path attack between all the nameservers and the
>>> recursive.
>>

>> DONE?
>> "It is important to confirm that the comains is still under the
>> ownership / control of the legitimate owner of the domain - this is to
>> ensure that disabling validation for a specific domain does not direct
>> users to an address under an attackers control. Contacting the domain
>> owner allows the resolver operator to determine if the issue is a
>> DNSSEC misconfiguration or an attack."
>>
>> I'm not really sure if this addresses your concerns? If not, do you
>> happen to have any suggested text?
>
> Using your, expanding just a bit:
>
> "It is important for the resolver operator to confirm that the domain is
> still under the
> ownership / control of the legitimate owner of the domain in order to
> ensure that disabling validation for a specific domain does not direct
> users to an address under an attacker's control. Contacting the domain
> owner and telling them the DNSSEC records that the resolver operator is seeing
> allows the resolver operator to determine if the issue is a
> DNSSEC misconfiguration or an attack."

DONE.
Oooh, better, thanks....

>>> In Section 2, it talks about "a popular domain name" but don't say how to
>>> determine that. Giving examples of sources of that data would be valuable.
>>
>> DONE.
>> I added: "An example of a list of "top N" websites is the <xref
>> target="Alexa">"Alexa Top 500 Sites on the Web" </xref>"
>>
>> Is this OK?
>
> That's OK, but I would prefer to add in what Scott Rose suggested: ", or a
> list of the of the most-accessed names in the resolver's cache".

DONE.
Doh! Because I was integrating many comments in one go (and did
your's, and then Scott's) I'd actually included:
"In the case of a validation failure due to misconfiguration of a TLD
or popular domain name (such as a top 100 website), content or
services in the affected TLD or domain could be inaccessible for a
large number of users. In such cases, it may be appropriate to use a
Negative Trust Anchor as soon as the misconfiguration is confirmed. An
example of a list of "top N" websites is the "Alexa Top 500 Sites on
the Web" , another example would be to look through historical query
logs."
but I'd forgotten to go back and note this here.

Anyway, i think I like yours more, so I'm using yours...

> --Paul Hoffman

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf